Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wed - Sept 15th - Update on Dad

Yesterday we let dad rest. As he is failing visitors tire him out greatly. He is slipping in and out of sleep more and his memory fails him - this upsets him. His kidney's are beginning to fail and this effects his mind. This is all normal in the process of passing.

We would like to keep the visits down - and if you do come, PLEASE stay only a few minutes. Hospice said he needs to rest and not get anxious from the long visits. He feels if people come he needs to visit. We appreciate your concern and prayers. Most of you have known him for years and he loves all of you. He said he didn't know so many people cared about him.

He did have one of his old fishing buddies, whom he has known for 60 yrs come by, he brought his guitar and sang dad some hymns. They were beautiful and dad enjoyed them greatly.

He is ready to go and wants Jesus to come and get him. As family, we don't want to lose him but have told him that it is okay - that we will be all right. We will take care of mom so he doesn't need to worry about that. He lays and thinks of things he needs to tell her - the furnace filter, the a/c needing replaced next year, the humidifier and how to turn it on. Things like that which he has always taken care of. He is of the old generation that doesn't believe women should do things like that. He has always said mom can't mow the lawn because "what would the neighbors think?" Bob and I will help mom with everything she needs.

All of you know dad as a strong, self-willed man. He would do anything for anyone. When he retired he only worked for widows and elders that he knew couldn't find good honest help. They would call and he would go. It has only been the last two years that he finally stopped working completely. That is pretty good for an 85 year old guy. We have all heard his fishing stories and how he loved to fish.

He is quick to joke and tease, his eyes sparkled every time a child came around. I have been keeping my little Yorkie at nights here and he has enjoyed watching him (all 9 lbs of him) protect the house of anyone coming around.

My dad has always been my dad and my friend. He was there for me as a teenager with understanding that I still can't imagine. He never yelled at me, he would talk to me about "being careful" or "think about what you are doing". I used to think he knew everywhere I went and what I did; but because of his past he knew what I was doing or could do and he was protecting me. That is what dad's do. They protect their families. I could never have ask God for a better family then he gave me.

That is it for today. I will keep you posted. Sandy

My Blog List