Sunday, September 4, 2011

Study finds fewer women are attending church


Study finds fewer women are attending church
I found this article in the Wichita Eagle of Saturday, Sept. 3rd; it was written by Helen T. Gray of the McClatchy News Papers of Kansas City.

The article had many interesting facts in it, some that have been in my thoughts for a long time now. Growing up I found that the women were the backbone of the church. The pastor was always a man, the directors, deacons and other “high position” jobs were men.

Ms. Gray went on to say: “Women have been the ones to organize the Vacation Bible School, the church rummage sale, the hospitality dimensions of congregations’ life, etc.” “(Today) “They simply do not have the energy to sustain these patterns while working full time, rearing children, etc.”

I totally agree with her.  The world has changed but the church has not evolved with it.

Personally I would enjoy a group of women who got together for bible study, book club; topical study or whatever was decided. Yet, it would have to be in the evenings when most women are doing laundry, fixing supper for their families, cleaning and shuffling their children to soccer, cheer camp or whatever activity they are in. So again that leaves the women trying to find time to go to them and join in.

Traditionally if a woman stops going to church then the husband and children don’t go. Thus the decline in attendance at most churches. Why would they want to go to church if all they were doing was being ask to babysit, teach, attend meetings (most of which are during weekdays while most women work).

As I recall the churches of Jesus day were gatherings in the home where they broke bread and let Jesus or the elders teach. Women of the Bible taught us a lot; like Esther or Ruth for instance. I believe that women can teach and have opinions and observations the same as men. It doesn’t have to always be ONE person who teaches while the others listen. We can learn from each other and discuss what the topic is. The bible is always right; this is a given in my life; yet sometimes it is through talking about it that the true interpretation comes out for others.

Personally I have found that I don’t have to attend church to feel that God is the “all-knowing, all-powerful and perfect Creator of the universe who still rules the world today” (Barnes study).

 As a young child I found and accepted Christ as my Savior and nothing has deterred me from that (except for a period of questioning all things in my teen years).

Most church services today are for about 2 hours at the most – one half hour being for singing or praising (usually standing up when that is the last thing I want to do that early); 15 to 30 minutes of communion, collecting the tithes and announcements. The pastor may speak for 30 to 45 minutes at the most.

Please don’t think I am against all church gatherings, they are very important to help teach people about Christ and help them learn who Christ is and to accept him as their Savior. That is what Jesus taught us to do. I just think the church needs to minister in different ways.

Anyway, I found the article interesting and thought you might also.
Here is the article, copy and paste into your header to read it.

 http://www.kansas.com/2011/09/03/2000348/study-finds-fewer-women-are-attending.html

My Blog List