Thursday, February 7, 2013

Now I am retired....

I am now retired - one month and 4 days. I was sitting in my chair a moment ago trying to rest. Yet, my mind started it's usual wondering....

This is my view of resting: my two dogs always get on my lap or beside me.



As I sat there for a few moments I begin to think - now what am I going to do?
I am no longer "gainfully" employed, I have no one to tell me what my next job is. I am free to do whatever I desire. What will I do? (Besides breaking up fights of my two fur babies?)

I have always been the one doing something - working with graphic designs, writing technical manuals, learning new software programs. Working with clients who do work for my prior job and answering to those over me. I guess it is normal to feel a little "lost". We work all our lives for 8 hours a day with people, we get to know them, talk to them and then go home. Now I no longer have that 8 hour job to push me forward.

Yesterday I did take a step and attended a luncheon of the Wichita Professional Communicators. We were honored to hear Kim Nussbaum, president and publisher of the Wichita Eagle (photo below) speak. I made a new friend (Randi) and met others.

 
This was my first step of going outside of my "comfort zone". I will probably go another time before deciding if this is group will be something I will want to join and get involved with. As yet I haven't really seen "what they do".
 
I have also thought about joining a "book club", as I have read at least five books since retiring. I love to read and I love to write. I feel that it is extremely important to read, read, read and then write. Several ladies at the luncheon are Freelance Writer's. This is something I have also considered. Yet, finding the job of writing for someone else is not something I have done. As an employed person I wrote for sixteen years on technical manuals. I therefore have the organization and training to do this. Where do I find my nitch?
 
There are so many unanswered questions as to what my future will hold. I love photography but am not a professional. I have yet to learn how to get off "manual" and wonder into the field of aperture, ISO and f-stops. That is something I would like to do, yet need guidance as to how. Reading all the manuals does not "show" me how to do it; I have always been a "show me" person, then I "get it".
 
Going to watch my only grandson bowl has been something my husband and I have enjoyed doing since retirement. It is during the day and we would not have been able too before - yet that is only for two more weeks, then he is done for this year. (I must say he is doing really good.) He enjoys it and hopes to join a league after he is finished with his class at school.
 
One of the "things" I wanted to do was get my office cleaned up (again), but it hasn't changed much. I haven't found my passport yet (lost since my last trip to Germany in 2009), although I have really looked for it. How can a PINK case hide so well? It continues to elude me. 
 
I also have a lot of "unfinished projects" waiting to be attended too. Sewing, scrapbooking, jewelry making, selling things on ebay and cleaning out closets.
 
For now I am enjoying my days of relaxation, there is no HURRY to do everything at once - is there?  
 
 
 

My Blog List